On Tuesday, April 21st, via voice-vote, Senate passed a $484 billion interim coronavirus funding bill which will replenish the emergency loan program for small businesses called the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). This bill will also provide billions of dollars in funding for the Economic Injury Disaster Loan program (EIDL), hospitals, and will allow for expanded coronavirus testing.
The $484 billion will be allocated as follows:
- $322 billion — is for replenishing the PPP, which dried up very soon after the application window opened.
- Roughly $60 billion of that total will be allocated to small lenders and community banks.
- $60 billion for the Economic Injury Disaster Loan program, which reaches communities and small businesses in underserved areas.
- $75 billion for hospitals.
- $25 billion to expand coronavirus testing.