In this position, the Payroll/Bookkeeping Specialist will ensure accurate preparation, processing and documentation of multiple clients’ payroll according to each client’s pay period requirements. You will also compile and submit payroll deduction related check requests and payments including federal and state payments, garnishments, 401(k) and the like. We will ask that you are able to prepare quarterly and year-end tax reports and filings including W2 and 1099 preparation for multiple clients, and maintain current status of knowledge regarding IRS regulations. You will act as the primary contact for all customer payroll related inquiries. Bookkeeping duties to include, but not limited to: check register data entry, GL account reconciliations, bank statement reconciliations, AR & AP accruals and financial statement preparation for clients in various industries.
Payroll Preparation and related tasks – 50%
- Payroll processing in multiple software programs including Sage 50, QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Online and Great Plains
- Payroll tax payment preparation and filing for multiple states
- Direct deposit or check processing
- Preparation of payroll summary information for client review
- Research payroll tax laws and rules
- Organization of payroll documentation
- Sales tax and MN Care reporting
- New hire reporting
Quarterly and year-end Preparation – 30%
- Completion of federal and state quarterly payroll tax forms – 941, 944, 943, state withholding, SUTA, FUTA (940)
- Preparation of 1099s and W2s
- Verification and reconciliation of individual payrolls to the total reported quarterly amounts and quarterly reports to W3
- Electronic filing of 1099s and W2s
- Coordination with Partners and Managers on signing quarterly returns
Bookkeeping – 10%
- Work with clients to process weekly or monthly transactions.
- GL account reconciliations, bank reconciliations, month end entries, etc.
- Depreciation tracking and recording.
- Preparation of monthly internal financial statements.
Communicating with clients & co-workers – 10%
- Internal and external – clients and members of the department.
- Interact with co-workers and related team building activities.
- Positively represent the firm and its corporate image and identity.
- Two year accounting degree preferred.
- Three to five years of payroll processing.
Skills and Abilities:
- General Payroll – Knowledge including taxable wages, tax rates, entity structure differences, commodity wages, flexible spending accounts, HSA’s HRA’s.
- Customer and Personal Service – Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Clerical – Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology including use of the Microsoft Office Suite of products.
- Mathematics – Knowledge of arithmetic and its applications.
- Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Active Learning – Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Coordination – Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
- Time Management – Managing one’s own time on various client engagements.
- Deductive Reasoning – The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Oral/Written Expression/Comprehension – The ability to communicate information and ideas back and forth in speaking and writing so you and others will understand.
- Social Perceptiveness – Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
This position will operate in an office setting. Lifting and moving small boxes and files will happen from time to time.
This job description reflects the assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Are you progressive and forward thinking? Review our current positions available and submit your resume to [email protected] .