This from the MN Department of Revenue: It’s almost time to start back-to-school shopping and the Minnesota Department of Revenue is reminding you that most school supply purchases qualify for valuable K-12 tax benefits on your 2019 Minnesota income tax return. Remember to save your school supply receipts.
What K-12 tax benefits does Minnesota offer?
Two Minnesota tax benefits help families pay their child’s education expenses: the K-12 Education Credit and the K-12 Education Subtraction.
Both benefits reduce your state tax and could provide you a larger refund when filing your Minnesota income tax return. Last year, more than 33,000 families received the K-12 Education Credit and saved an average of $244. Over 178,000 families received the K-12 Education Subtraction.
Do I qualify for these tax benefits?
To qualify, you must have purchased educational services or materials in 2019 to assist with your child’s education. Your child must also be attending kindergarten through 12th grade at a public, private, or home school. Separate requirements apply for the credit and subtraction.
- K-12 Education Credit: Your household income (taxable and nontaxable income) must be below a certain level to qualify for the credit. If you qualify for the credit but do not need to file a Minnesota return, you must file a return to claim a refund. For income requirements, see the table below:
|Number of qualifying children in K-12||Household income must be less than|
|1 or 2||$37,500|
|4 or more||Add $2,000 for each additional child|
- K-12 Education Subtraction: There are no income limits for the education subtraction.
What educational expenses qualify?
Most expenses for educational instruction or materials qualify, including:
- Pens and notebooks
- Rental or purchases of educational equipment, including musical instruments
- Computer hardware and educational software (up to $200 for the subtraction and credit)
- After-school tutoring and educational summer camps taught by a qualified instructor
Find the FULL list of supplies that qualify here. If you would like clarity on whether you qualify or what supplies are eligible, contact one of our experts today!